Thursday, April 06, 2006

Et tu Proteins?

For the past 2 days I am just googling on Proteins. Extracting as much info. as I can on the food items that are rich and not so rich in proteins. Reason?

Well I had been getting this back pain for the last 2-3 weeks or so. Last week it became kinda serious. I couldn't sit or properly stand and the pain was getting acute in the lower back. Once in a life time evry It guys falls for this problme - knowing that, I applied some preventive measures which kind of helped reduce pain but this time the pain still lingered on in my left leg. So much so, that I was finding it even difficult to drive or sit for even 2 minutes on chair or anything. Then I finally consulted a physio.

After pinpointing my pain areas the physio pinpointed the reason why I had pulled my hamstring (incorrect posture while sitting on something low - which happend to be my low 'baithak' in my drawing room) and was feeling this pain & stiffness in my body. She advised me to get a blood test done to check the quanity of uric acid. A high quantity of uric acid leads to frequent stiffness/pain in body. It means that the body is not able to dispose of the residue of proteins and it gets deposited on bones/joins in the body - which leads to arising of spasms/stifness/pain etc. & in future can elad to other complications too.

The level of uric acidin my report was 6(normal is between 2 -6.5) but according to her anything above 5 is high and I have to reduce my uric acid level. Which means - cutting down on my protein intake and also some medication. As she statred tellign em what all food items have proteins, my jaw started becoming wider. It includes:

-Rajma
-Pulses
-Channa/chole(chickbeans)
-Panner
-Tomato
-Sprouts
-Dahi
-Milk
-Soya beans
-Fish
-Mutton
-Peas
-Eggs
-Cereals
-Nuts

I am still googling to arrive on items which are very rich in proteins and can be avoided. I exclaimed..but what should I eat!!! if all this has to be avoided...she laughed and said..well u can eat fruits. But for the time being..avoide all protein stuff and month later get a test done again to see the level of uric acid.

This problem is very common with people who get regular lower back pains/stifness in body or frequent gym/work out.

If I stick to my no-protein diet for atleast a month also (which suvi will ensure I do), you might get to see a leaner (or not?) loku very soon.

No comments: