Wednesday, May 10, 2006

How Lokesh Sapre Got Deadline, Got Googlised, Got Away Unnoticed

I have to create collaterals for some sales guys on a few services. Now these are services that we have never really ventured into much but the collateral should sound this way as if we were the pioneers in this service. So what will I do? I will simply do a quick search about those services on google, download interesting stuff related to the topic, pick up a line from here and there - rehash the whole stuff, pepper it with my own adjectives and adverbs, change the flavor of the topic to make it interesting and business like and dish it out in my company's collateral template. Simple.

'Reusable Component' is a term that's commonly used in IT companies. Though it's mainly for reusing software components but also gets extended to writing service collaterals, whitepapers, techical papers etc. 99% people in the IT industry googlise. 1% people like Aziz Premji, Narayan Krishnamurthy do it without opening a browser.

Ask any marketing manager or a PM in any IT firm if he/she has created any proposal/collateral/paper without referring to any other material from the net. Yes, I know referring doesn't mean copying but I intend to say that in the same breath. Copying for me is not lifting 'as it is'. If put in Bollywoodish term, it means 'getting inspired'. The reason being, more than often, we try to retain or bring about the same flavor in our stuff that is already there available. Only thing that gets changed is the presentation - the tone, the style, the jazz.

As a senior top management guy once told me - Why reinvent the wheel?

No comments: