Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Visa Power

The day I was diagnosed with slip disc, 3-4 days later, I had to leave for Indore to attend a wedding. But more than that I was more worried if I would be able to attend my US Consulate Visa interview which was 2 weeks down the line. The Indore trip got cancelled but fortunately was in shape to attend the Visa interview.

I was quite lucky to get date for the interview within 10 days of HR submitting the form so didn't want to miss it. Didn't drive, but hired a car to drop me and take me back home from the Consulate. Reached there an hour b4 the interview time and saw my friend Avi already there.

On the eve of interview, I was cramming the HR briefing dos/don't sheet regarding the interview. What to speak, how much to speak, things to avoid, etc. Both of us were getting these jittery vibes of what if we don't get the visa...we would become outcasts in our office ;-)

In an hour I was called in for the interview. After finishing all the pre-interview formalities, I waited for my number in a line. My friend was standing in another line. His turn came b4 me. To his and my surprise, his interview lasted exactly for a minute. In fact less than that. All that the firang asked him was where was his native place and how long had his family being staying there. That's it. He got the visa but was terribly disappointed coz the whole nite and morning he had mentally crammed answers and the firang's response turned out to be an anti-climax.

My process went quite smoothly with the firang, who was in friday friendly mood, smiled n joked with me while asking questions relating to my edcational background/project/BSIL/profile etc. Out of all that the best one was.... "you are working in an IT company for so long.... and you don't even have a Diploma in computers...how?" ..I wish I could have told him: Even I don't know how. :-)

No comments: