Friday, July 21, 2006

Can't just live without Google Earth!

Google Earth is a fine example of how friendly and accessible a technology can be. Till a couple of years back, viewing satellite imaging of places (atleast by common folks like you and me) was unheard of. I remember when I was in school probably class 10th or so, one of my uncle who used to work for EIL had brought a satellite image of Janakpuri/Vikaspuri area. Though the entire image looked fudged up but I was too 'kicked' to see a spot of pink in one corner (that my uncle told was our society). That was my 1st brush with satellite images, till Google Earth came and redefined the viewing experience.

Tomorrow I and Suvi are going to Pune to hunt for a house. I have been to Pune only once but today I can very well direct you how to reach the place where my new office is situated, what are the landmarks near it, which road to take, from where should I take a turn, which are the major apartment complexes around my new office, which one of them have an open swimming pool and more. All this and more and mind you - I have not physically seen any of these places myself. But today I have an exact blueprint in my mind on how all these look like - thanks to Google Earth. For the past 4-5 days, I have scanned the entire area around my office in Pune, marked out residential complexes that I can check out (thanks to Google Earth Community who have placed notes against places in pune), nearest banks/atms, eating joints etc. Tomorrow I intend to put my viewing experience to practical use.

(Picture of my new office location)

No comments: