Monday, March 20, 2006

Computers in cars

This is something I have never really understood. In most of the technical specs of cars you will see a feature which says "Onboard Computers". The numbers vary. I remember years back Santro used to offer 3..dunno how many they offer now. The Swift ad. these days scream: "6-onboard computers". Period. What do these "onboard computers" do and where on board are they situated? But more importantly, is the term correct? Are they really "computers" or should the term be "computerized chip"? The term computer gives a different connotation. I visualize these desktops/laptops. Just imagine. Besides that, when you say that, different things run through your mind. What if it rains heavily and water seeps into these so called "onboard computers". Will these computers crash? Somehow these terms put me off. I don't want computers to drive my car. It's me who will be the master of my machine and not some goddamn computer.

Btw, do you know how to keep the Santros, Swifts and other "onboard computer' wali cars bug free? Simple...just attach your internet connection to any one of the "onboard computer" of the car and download the latest virus definition :-) Yeah it's a PJ...but m luvin' it!

No comments: