Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Loku - dog's best friend

This piece is something that Suvi would have loved to tell on her own, but nevertheless..here it goes.

I have never been a dog lover.. but at the same time not a dog hater too. Have always been somewhere in between.....more of a dog 'liker'. I mean I do like them but I am not one of those who are so passionate about them that would love to keep them as pets. In our society there are many street dogs - around 3 or 4 per building. They are those harmless ones so I guess everyone in the society is cool about them. B4 marriage I had not been so considerate about these street dogs - I mean ok..you live here I live on 6th floor - you don't bother me - I don't bother you and I don't care a damn if anyone of the doggy dies or decides to leave the building. After marriage, I have noticed a visible change in my 'behavior' for these dogs - a fact which Suvi likes to take credit for ;-)

Now Suvi has always been vocal with her affection for dogs, cats, etc. She herself had paloed cats, dogs & rabbits in Indore. Out here also, any left over food goes to the building dogs when we go out for our night walks. Staying and interacting with the dogs while she feeds, I guess some of her compassi0n has got into me to. The same dogs now don't get the 'gali ka kutta' kinda vibes from me. Infact there are these 1-2 dogs who always come up to us with tails wagging when we go out for our night walks or when they see my car entering the parking lot. Whenever I get down from my car or in morning when i am going to office, there is this dog who always comes to me and jumps all over me. A little pat on his head, a light hearted scolding for spoiling your spotless dress, and he happily wags his tail and accompanies you to your car. Last week I bought couple of Parle G small biscut packs which I keep in my car dashboard to feed them whenever they come upto me. Suvi relishes with delight while telling this biscuit wala kissa to everyone. According to her - it's her 'influence' that made change in my heart and go for stocking the biscuits in the car. :P Blaaahhh...:P

My liking (or love?) for dogs came to another testing point ysdy night. A few of the dogs have given birth to some puppies in the compound behind my building. For us, they are a visual delight - as they play along. Now ysday night as I was about to have my bath, I heard whining sounds from a few puppies. The sound turned into long wails - shrill & continious ones. Me being on 6th floor, and I still could hear it means somehting was really wrong. Fearing that some cat or some rival dog must be making dinner of these puppies, I rushed out of the bathroom, told suvi m not liking the sound, took a left over roti and went downstairs to investigate. A few of the puppies were playing away to glory but the sound of wailing was coming from under some derbis lying nearby. The mother of the pups was also barking nearby. After seeing me, first she gave a low growl but I patoed her by offering half of the roti. With her guard down, I approached the debris to check out why the pups were howling. Found out that 2 of her pups were stuck were badly in an old net. Infact the rope of the net had choked one of the pup's neck and as he kept jumping to free himself, it was choking him further. I started removing the debris. The puppies were giving me hard time as they were obviously scared but managed to free them. As soon as they were free, they ran across the compund with their bros n sis, as I stood aside and watched them play, with a smile. Fed the remaing roti to the puppies and went upstairs.

Took these pics today morning. I guess 2 of these fellas are there coz of me.



 Posted by Picasa

No comments: